Image Map

"Waiting On" Wednesday (#91) Underneath Everything by Marcy Beller Paul

5/20/2015

“Waiting On” Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted at Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we’re eagerly anticipating.

This week I'm picking:

Underneath Everything by
Expected publication: October 27th 2015 by Balzer + Bray

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18336982-underneath-everything


From Goodreads: 

Mattie shouldn’t be at the bonfire. She should be finding new maps for her collection, hanging out with Kris, and steering clear of almost everyone else, especially Jolene. After all, Mattie and Kris dropped off the social scene the summer after sophomore year for a reason.

But now Mattie is a senior, and she’s sick of missing things. So here she is.

And there’s Jolene: Beautiful. Captivating. Just like the stories she wove. Mattie would know; she used to star in them. She and Jolene were best friends. Mattie has the scar on her palm to prove it, and Jolene has everything else, including Hudson.

But when Mattie runs into Hudson and gets a glimpse of what could have been, she decides to take it all back: the boyfriend, the friends, the life she was supposed to live. Problem is, Mattie can’t figure out where Jolene ends and she begins.

Because there’s something Mattie hasn’t told anyone--she walked away from Jolene over a year ago, but she never really left.

Poignant and provocative, Marcy Beller Paul’s debut novel tells the story of an intoxicating—and toxic—relationship that blurs the boundary between reality and fantasy, love and loyalty, friendship and obsession.



Why I'm Waiting:

I keep singing the song Jolene in my head when I think about this book.  Besides that, it looks like it will be sad and really good. Having once had a toxic friend in my life, I imagine I will relate to this one.

4 comments:

  1. That sounds intense! Hope you enjoy it once you read it!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm....I have a theory about this one. I'll keep it to myself, though. It sounds really good, I'm definitely intrigued. Great pick!

    Michelle @ Michelle's Minions

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen this book on a lot of WoWs lately. It's definitely one I'm looking forward to as well.

    My WoW.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hadn't heard of this one but it sounds like it could be pretty good! Great pick!
    Check out my WOW

    ReplyDelete