Image Map

Top Ten Tuesday (#106) (09/01/15) Ten Characters You Just Didn't Click With

9/01/2015

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
 
Ten Characters You Just Didn't Click With

It's sad when there are characters that you can't click with. When coming up with this list, I realized that there were books that I actually did manage to enjoy even though I didn't like the main character.  I was really surprised by that.  I was also able to see that there were books I didn't like but it had nothing to do with the main character, it was some other issue.  So here are the top books where I just really didn't like/didn't click with the main character.


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6364657-bleeding-violet
Hanna  Järvinen

Hanna Järvinen is legit crazy.  I know that term gets tossed around a lot and it doesn't mean the person is crazy, however, she is crazy.  The writing in this book is fabulous, and it's not a bad book by any stretch of the imagination. It's actually quite good.  It's just beyond bizarre.  However, I never connected with Hanna because she's insane.  Mental institution for the rest of her life insane.  The reader never knows what's real because Hanna is an unreliable narrator, because she's crazy.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16179216-dear-killer
Kit Ward

I don't think Kit was supposed to be likable, however she goes beyond that.  I don't know if I disliked a main character more than her in any book ever.  There were a ton of things wrong with this book, but Kit was right at the top; I just don't have the space to go into how awful she is.  Horrible book, horrible character.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2722413-evernight
Bianca Olivier

Oh  Bianca Olivier. I didn't much care for her in the first book, but she was pretty harmless. For each book in this series she gets progressively worse.  By the end I just couldn't stand her and I thought I was rid of her at one point, but no, she returns even more annoying than she was before.  I had to stop reading this series because she was so awful.


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30183.Marked
Zoey Redbird (and everyone else)

Oh Zoey Redbird.  I was actually on your side for the first book or two. After that, no way, no how. I had to stop reading the series because not only did Zoey become terrible, all her irritating friends were just as bad. I haven't read one of these books in a few years, and I can't think of a single character that I like at this point. 


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16101080-our-song
Olive Bell

I think Olive Bell, the main character, actually has some serious psychological problems and a major personality disorder.  She needs help.  Unfortunately that's not what this book is about. Instead it's about an old romance and a new one.  The positive is she meets her new romantic connection in therapy, just not the type of therapy she needs.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10507293-the-selection
 America Singer

I've talked about this series quite a bit on this blog.  It's because I have a love/hate relationship with the entire series.  I love a lot of it, but the biggest thing I hate is America Singer, the main character. Not only did I not connect with her, I thought she was just awful. She is by far the worst thing about this series. I was actively rooting against her for much of the series because she's the worst. Despite her awfulness, I actually read the series because there is enough other things that redeem it.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3345529-twilight
Bella Swan

 Oh Bella, Bella, Bella.  You annoyed me in the first book. Then it got progressively worse.  I can't think of much positive to say about Bella.  I didn't like her, didn't relate to her and found her beyond stupid.  I actually disliked her so much by the last book that it was almost a DNF.  I hated her and that last book so much that I still have yet to see either movie. 

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13589580-what-the-spell
Brooklyn Sparks

Brooklyn is definitely one of my least favorite characters ever.  I couldn't even tell you how the rest of the book was because she was so unbelievably awful.  I am almost always willing to give the second book in a series a second chance, but not with this series.


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6387565-witch-wizard
Whisty Allgood (and everyone else)

I don't know if I disliked this series just because of Whisty Allgood or if she was a contributing factor.  Actually all the characters in this series are just awful.  I think my issue with Whisty is she's just so full of herself. It becomes annoying.  Another series I abandoned because I didn't like any of the characters.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18350328-now-and-forever
Sterling

Sterling is just beyond annoying.  I hated her "voice" during the narration.  It was a constant dialog about how awesome she is, and how awesome her boyfriend is, and how awesome her life was.  I think Colasanti wanted her to come off as an upbeat and happy person, however the result was a character I would never want to know let alone be friends with. I really dislike the book because I disliked Sterling so much.


11 comments:

  1. I definitely lost interest in the House of Night series. Everyone become annoying. Bleeding Violet was WEIRD, but I liked it. Great list!

    Michelle @ Michelle's Minions

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Second time I am seeing Bella...well third, I guess! ;) LOL! She annoyed me greatly. She was pretty whining and I just wanted to slap her! Seeing House of Night characters a bit today too. I read the first one but that was it.

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, Bella was on my list, too! Poor, poor Bella.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh God, Bella.
    Possibly the most annoying and pointless character of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice list!! I struggled with America for quite a while too. I included a character from Twilight this week, but it wasn't Bella.

    Here is my TTT: http://www.jacquesbooknook.blogspot.com/2015/09/top-ten-tuesday-characters-i-just-didnt.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bella Swan made my list, too. She was insufferable in that last book! Ugh.

    I've seen America Singer on a couple of lists already. I'm sure she's going to be a popular choice today (I haven't read the books... and I have no desire to)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bella was #1 on my list and while I don't usually have an order to my lists, she definitely tops it. Zoey seems to be making quite a few lists as well. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bella made my list too. There is so many things that did not work for her.

    My TTT! @ LazyBookLovers

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely agree with Bella - she made my list this week too! My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't even waste my time by including Bella...

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yes Bella Swan. She's the reason I stopped reading that series.

    I tried reading Dear Killer but I couldn't make it too far.

    ReplyDelete