Image Map

A Friday Five (#21) Ashes on the Waves by Mary Lindsey

4/04/2014


On Fridays I'll feature one of my favorite books or a book I read in the last week and come up 5 words to describe it.  View it as a super mini review.  This week I'm featuring:


I was really looking forward to this book and had featured it as a WoW a while ago.  Annabel Lee is one of my all time favorite poems, so I was really excited to read this.  Here are the five words I would use to describe it:
  1. Unique
  2. Confusing
  3. Dark
  4. Romantic
  5. Atmospheric

Unique:  This was so different from anything I've ever written. It combines Gothic and Paranormal elements, and it becomes so beautiful and so unique.

Confusing:  I hate to put this here, because I really did enjoy the story, but I was confused many times.  It's the supernatural elements, that are purposely never really explained, that had me a bit confused.  That being said, it didn't really take away from the story. 

Dark:  Since it's based on a very tragic poem, it totally makes sense that this becomes a dark book.  Plus it has so many Gothic elements, it only makes sense.  If you want a happy uplifting book, you might want to look elsewhere.

Romantic:  Ultimately the poem and this book are insanely romantic.  Tragic, yes, but the romance is so much a part of it.  A bit of a warning though, if you don't like instalove, I would look elsewhere.  I feel it really works for this book, but it's definitely instalove.

Atmospheric: You really get a feel for the island where the story takes place.  From the Otherworldly beings, to the darkness surrounding the island and its inhabitants. The author really does a fantastic job of setting the tone, and creating a world that you can totally buy into.

Bottom Line:  I found this book to be very conflicting.  There was so much I loved about it, but I put it down for a while and then picked it up.  Ultimately I found it different enough that I enjoyed it.


No comments:

Post a Comment