Image Map

Teaser and Top Ten Tuesday (#22) 08/20/13

8/20/2013


Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
• Grab your current read
• Open to a random page
• Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
• BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
• Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!
 




From pg.188 of my ARC*

"When Alice had knocked on Charlie's door a few hours before, she'd expected to be told to go f**k herself (only in less polite language).  But instead she'd been invited inside."

*This is and ARC copy.  Page number and quotes may not be the same in the finished copy.


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
 
Top Ten Things That Make Your Life As A Reader/Book Blogger Easier 

I'm skipping the obvious, such as my eyes, my computer, books/publishers, and the internet, and will focus on the other things that make my life easier as a both a reader and a blogger.


1. Goodreads--I don't know what my life would be like without Goodreads.  Even before I became a blogger I used it every day.  I keep track of what I read, what I own, what I want to read, the order in which I want to read it, and what I thought about it.  I don't even use it for promotion of my blog.  I just need it as a avid reader.  I don't know how anyone who does a lot of reading can live without it.

2. Google--Whenever I don't know how to do something in Blogger or I need to check the spelling of something, off to Google I go.  Need to find out who is promoting a certain book on their blog, Google. 

3. My Local Public Library--I love them.  I know them, they know me.  I even started volunteering there by putting books on their shelves.  I am not a public librarian, so I feel that I should give back to the librarians that are on the front lines to the public.  Plus they have books to read.  For free.  And e-books.  For free.  I really don't understand people who illegally download books off the internet.  GO TO YOUR LIBRARY!  If they don't have the book you want?  Guess what?  There is a thing called Interlibrary Loan that can get you pretty much any book you want/need.  If there is a library in your state that owns a copy of the book, guess what?  They will send it to your local library.  FOR FREE. 

4. ALA Conferences--This is both good and bad.  I end up with way too many books, but it gives me variety when I want to read.  I get to discover new books and meet my favorite authors and talk to the publishers.

5. Feedly/Bloglovin'--RIP Google Reader.  I need some way to keep up with what's going on in the blogging world.  A reader is the best way to go for me.  I'm just sad that none of them have the capability to search my feeds.  One of them did, and then it went away.  I NEED that back.

6. My husband--He has been so awesome about my blog.  And while I try to stay pretty low key about the whole thing, he tells just about everyone I meet about my blog.  When I got blog business cards, he passed them out to everyone he knew.  He goes to the conferences with me so he can stand in the lines while I am in sessions.  He reads my reviews, and makes suggestions.  And he never minds the time when I am updating the blog.

7. Netgalley--Yes I do love them.  The publishers are particularly kind to librarians.  My only issue is that they seem to be moving further away from the major publishers and focusing on the indie books.  I'm not a huge fan of that.  I also wish there were more major publishers on it.  But I still love the convenience. 

8. Edelweiss--I enjoy looking at the publisher's upcoming catalog.  Yes they have review copies you can request, but my luck with getting approved is minimal.  I'm unsure what they are looking for when the approve the requests, but apparently librarians are not in favor.  With Netgalley all I have to do is enter in my ALA number and I am auto approved.  Not with Edelwiess.  Even so, it's the best place to find out about new and upcoming books.

9. My Kindle/Nook/iPad--Yes I own all three, your point?  I actually don't do much reading on my iPad, but it has been known to happen.  My Kindle and my Nook?  I read on those all the time.  I actually travel a lot, and having those two devices has saved my back tremendously.  For example I used to have to travel with the books I was planning on reading on my trip.  Now, I just pack my devices and off I go.  No books weighing me down.  I went to S. Africa a few years ago before buying my e-reader and I took 8 books with me for my 2.5 week vacation.  I read them all, but that was 8 books I had to travel half-way around the world with.  Compare that to my 10 day vacation in Hawaii, and I brought 1 book because I wasn't done with it, and my Nook.  I didn't own my Kindle yet.  I read just as many books, I just didn't have to lug them around.  The only problem is when the publishers drop the price to $3.99 or less.  It's such a good deal, and my finger just can't help pressing the buy button.  I have spent a lot of $$ on books.

10. The Memes--They are one of the reasons why I started blogging.  I would visit so many blogs and I loved the memes.  I really wanted to add my opinion about my favorite books, and what I was reading.  The memes are what makes blogging fun for me.  I don't actually enjoy writing and I think I'm pretty terrible at it, but I love doing the memes.  Plus they give me direction and keep me posting.

7 comments:

  1. You are so right about Netgalley, so many indie books these days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is AWESOME that you husband helps you out. Mine doesn't even read my blog, but that is okay. I can make comments about him and he never finds out :) I can understand why you have multiple eReaders. I have a Nook, Nook Color, and an iPad. They all serve a purpose. The library and Goodreads are two of my most valuable resources as well. I can't understand why people do not use their library either.

    Here is my TTT: http://jacquesbooknook.blogspot.com/2013/08/top-ten-tuesdaythings-that-make.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOoh nice ones!! Goodreads is getting lots of love!!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great. I should branch out into reading more on my Kindle--especially by taking advantage of netgalley, but I haven't been able to break away from the physical book just yet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have an e-reader yet, but hope to get one next month. I definitely see the benefits of having one, even if I'm attached to physical books! And of course, a great support system like your husband is always good to have :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, Google is a good one! I should've mentioned my beloved iPad :) Great list!

    Thanks for stopping by my TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're definitely right about NetGalley moving towards Indie (or so it seems). There are still some of the big publishers, but a lot of them seem to be indie lately.

    I use my iPad for reading comics or something where the colour is important! Otherwise, I use my kobo because I don't need to bring all those books with me. My back would never forgive me!

    I'm glad you've got a great support system in your husband!

    Laureen @ Ms. Bibliophile.

    ReplyDelete